MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
Polperro in 1837
Polperro, in the hundred of West, lies partly in the parish of Lansalloes, and partly in that of Talland ; it is on the coast between Plymouth and Fowey, 6½ miles from Fowey, and 237 from London. The situation of this little town is singularly romantic, the houses being on the side of two steep rocky hills, forming a very narrow valley ; a small river which divides the two parishes runs through this valley. There is a harbour for vessels of 150 tons ; an extensive hook and line fishery is carried on, by which Bath, Plymouth, and other places are supplied with fish : there is also a pilchard fishery, and some trade is carried on in coals, limestone, and grain. There was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Peter on the brow of the more westerly of the two hills in the parish of Lansalloes ; there are some remains of this, called the chapel house. The market is on Friday. The population of Polperro is not given separately in the population returns. The two parishes in which it stands contained together, in 1831, 1,725 inhabitants, exclusive of the borough of West Looe, which is in Talland parish.
Lansalloes is a rectory, of the net annual value of £395, with a glebe-house. Talland is a vicarage, of the net annual value of £110 : both are in the diocese of Exeter and the archdeaconry of Cornwall. There are two endowed charity schools at Polperro ; one for boys and one for girls.