Alston in 1837
Alston is situate in a wild and mountainous district, on the confines of Northumberland, near the Tyne, and has valuable lead-mines in its vicinity ; a good modern church, four chapels for dissenters, a national school, grammar-school, and subscription library. Parish population in 1831 was 5,244. Market-day is Saturday. The lead-mines are let to the London Lead Company and several other persons, who pay one-fifth part of the ore raised for rent. On an average, the mines produce 7,600 tons of lead annually, and from every ton about thirteen ounces of silver are extracted. Copper is also worked in several of the mines.