West Bromwich in 1841
West Bromwich is in the southern division of Offlow hundred, between Birmingham and Wednesbury, but nearer the latter. The church contains some good ancient work. There are meeting-houses for Wesleyans and Independents.
The parish has an area of 5,380 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 15,327, of whom 1,318 men were employed in the manufacture of iron for the forge or workshop, and above 1,000 in coal-pits, or in other works connected with these great branches of industry.
Sandwell park, one of the. seats of the earl of Dartmouth, is near West Bromwich ; it occupies the site of a small Benedictine priory.
There were, in 1833, two national schools, an endowed day school, a Catholic school partly supported by subscription, and several private schools.