MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
Camborne in 1837
Camborne is in Penwith hundred, and on the road from London by Redruth to St. Ives ; 3½ miles from Redruth, and 265 from London. It is neatly built, in the midst of the mining districts : the country around affords some extensive and delightful prospects. The church is a fine specimen of the granite churches of this county, built in the perpendicular English style : there is a good south door under a porch, a modern south chapel, and a modern font. There are places of worship for different classes of Methodists. The market, established in 1802, is considerable ; it is held on Saturday : the market-house was built by Lord De Dunstanville, of the parish. The population, in 1831 was 7,699.
The living is a rectory (net annual value £790, with a glebe-house), in the diocese of Exeter and the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and in the gift of Lord De Dunstanville.