MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
Camelford in 1837
Camelford is in the hundred of Lesnewth, and on the road leading from Launceston by Wadebridge to Padstow, 228 miles from London, and 14½ from Launceston. It is described as an ill-built town, in a situation 'as dismal as can be imagined.' The streets, however, are broad and well paved ; and there is a town-hall, which was built about 30 years since by the Duke of Bedford. The river Camel, which rises about four miles to the NNE flows through the town, and gives name to it. The parish church is at Lanteglos, more than a mile south-west of the town. There is an endowed school. The population of the parish in 1831 was 1,359. There is a market on Friday for corn and provisions. The town was made a free borough by Richard, earl of Cornwall, better known by his subsequently acquired title of King of the Romans, brother of Henry III. The present corporation was incorporated by a charter of 25 Charles II. From the time of Edward VI, the borough sent two members to the House of Commons, who were elected by the corporation and a few freemen. Camelford was disfranchised by the Reform Act.
The living of Lanteglos is a rectory, united with the neighbouring rectory of Advent ; their joint annual value is £474 with a glebe-house : they are in the diocese of Exeter and the archdeaconry of Cornwall : the patronage is in the king as duke of Cornwall. There was formerly a chapel in the town of Camelford ; it is now in ruins. The petty-sessions for the hundred are held here. The neighbourhood of Camelford is supposed by some to have been the scene of the battle in which King Arthur fell ; and of another fought in 823 between the Britons and the West Saxons, under Egbert.