MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
Grampound in 1837
Grampound is in the parishes of Creed and Probus, in the hundred of Powder, 248 miles from London, by Tavistock, Liskeard, and St. Austell. The river Fal flows through the town, the greater part of which is to the east of that river, and consists of one main street on the declivity of a hill. The town did not contain in 1831 more than 113 houses, and 715 inhabitants. The parish church is at Creed, a mile from the town, but there is a small chapel of ease in the town, and a granite cross. The market is in-considerable : it is held on Saturday. There is a corporation, consisting of a mayor, eight aldermen, a recorder, and town-clerk. Grampound sent members to parliament from the reign of Edward VI until 1821, when it was disfranchised for bribery. The living of Creed (or St. Creed,) is a rectory of the net annual value of £351, with a glebe-house, in the diocese of Exeter and archdeaconry of Cornwall. Grampound has been supposed, but with little reason, to have been a Roman station.