MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
Mitchell (St. Michael's or St. Michell) in 1837
St. Michael's, otherwise Michell, is on the main road from Bodmin to Penzance and the Land's End, 248 miles from London : it is partly in the parish of St. Enoder, and partly in that of Newlyn, both in the hundred of Pyder. This place deserves notice only as being one of the boroughs disfranchised by the Reform Act. It returned two members to parliament from the time of Edward VI. The right of election was declared in 1700 to be in the lords of the manor capable of being portreeves (the portreeve is the returning officer), and in the inhabitants paying scot and lot. The latter, in the time of Browne Willis, were in number twenty-six ; but Sir Christopher Hawkins having purchased the borough, pulled down the cottages as fast as they became empty, and so reduced the number of voters to four, exclusive of the lords of the manor. The population of St. Enoder was in 1831, 1,124 ; that of Newlyn, 1,218.
The living of St. Enoder is a vicarage, in the gift of the bishop of Exeter, of the annual value of £278, with a glebe-house : that of Newlyn is a vicarage, also in the gift of the bishop, of the annual value of £380, with a glebe-house. Both are in the diocese of Exeter and the archdeaconry of Cornwall. Both churches are distant, St. Enoder three miles north-east, Newlyn two miles north-west, from St. Michell.