Keswick in 1837
Keswick is a small and pleasant town, standing on the banks of the Greta, near the lake of Derwent-water. It is much resorted to by visitors to the lakes, and is celebrated for the beautiful and romantic scenery in its vicinity. The parish church of Crosthwaite is about half a mile from Keswick. John Marshall, Esq. is now erecting a new church on the opposite side of the town. Char is potted here and sent to London, and to almost every part of the kingdom. This place is also noted for black-lead pencils. Woollen goods, fancy waistcoatings, and edge-tools are manufactured here. The Town-hall is a small edifice. There are two good museums ; a national school, and a Sunday-school, and workhouse. The township population in 1831 was 2,159. There is a weekly market on Saturday. Sir John Banks, chief justice of the Common Pleas, was born at Keswick ; and on his death, in 1642, bequeathed property worth upwards of £200 per annum to the poor of his native town. Robert Southey, the present poet-laureate, resides at Greta-hall near Keswick.