Bisley in 1838
Bisley is in the Stroud or great clothing district, three miles east of Stroud. The church, which is ancient, contains numerous monuments. A common, containing 1,200 acres, was given to the poor of Bisley by Roger Mortimer, earl of March, in the reign of Edward III ; since that period this space has been much lessened by enclosure. The cloth manufacture is extensively carried on in this parish, which in 1831 contained 5,896 inhabitants.