Lechlade in 1838
Lechlade, 27 miles east-south-east of Gloucester, is situated near the point where the four counties of Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, and Berkshire, have their junction, and near a small affluent of the Thames, called the Lech. Here commences the Thames and Severn canal, and the Thames first becomes navigable for barges of 70 or 80 tons burden. In consequence of these favourable circumstances the place has much traffic in the produce of the country and in London goods. The church is a handsome building in the pointed style ; the pulpit is of sculptured stone. Several years back a subterraneous building was discovered near the town, about 50 feet in length, 40 in breadth, and 4 in height, supported by pillars of brick, and curiously inlaid with variegated stones ; it is supposed to been a Roman bath. The population of Lechlade in 1831 was 1,244, houses 249.