North Leach in 1838
North Leach, l6½ miles east by south of Gloucester, is a small market-town, lying in a bottom among the Cotswold Hills, near the source of the Lech ; it principally consists of one long irregularly-built street. The church is a large handsome building, with an elegant south porch and a lofty tower at the west end. In l558 a free grammar-school was founded here by Hugh Westwood. The market-house is an old building supported on columns. Three centuries back North Leach was important as a clothing town ; but not having sufficient supply of water to answer the demands of an increasing manufacture, this was gradually removed to more favourable situations. The number of inhabitants in 1831 was 795, and of houses 126. North Leach is a polling place for the county.