Stow-in-the-Wold in 1838
Stow-on-the-Wold, a market-town 23 miles east-north-east of Gloucester, is situated on the summit of a high bleak hill, the base of which is about three miles in diameter.
The town is irregularly built, and the houses, which are built of stone, are in general low. The church is a substantial building erected during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The shoe manufactory is carried out here to some extent. There is a free grammar-school, an alms-house, and several charities. Owing to the great elevation of the town the inhabitants have a very inadequate supply of water. The population in 1831 was 1,810, and the number of houses 271.