Wickwar in 1838
Wickwar, 20 miles south-by-west of Gloucester, is an ancient market-town of small dimensions. It is well watered by two small streams which run through the town, over one of which there is a handsome stone bridge. The church is large, and has a lofty tower. There is a well-endowed free school. The parish contains 193 houses and 972 inhabitants. Wickwar derives its name from Wick, a turn in a stream, and War, from the manor having belonged to the family De la Warre.
Wickwar is a polling-place for the county.