Newton in 1839
Newton is in West Derby hundred, locally between Manchester and Liverpool, but not on the road between those towns, 193 miles from London, through Warrington. Newton is a chapelry in Winwick parish, and contains 3,070 acres, with a population in 1831 of 2,139. The place consists chiefly of one street ; it has an ancient court-house, now used for a school. There is a market-cross, though the market has been long discontinued. Newton was a borough by prescription, and returned two members to parliament from 1 Elizabeth, till it was disfranchised by the Reform Act. The chapel, is a comparatively modern building. The living is a perpetual curacy, of the clear yearly value of £114, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester. There were in 1833 one endowed school, with 84 children ; three other day-schools, with 219 children ; and two Sunday-schools, with 277 children.