Barrow-upon-Soar in 1839
Barrow-upon-Soar is about two miles from Mount Sorrel, on the opposite bank of the Soar, lower down the stream. The parish, which contains nearly 8,000 acres, with a population, in 1831, of about 6,000, includes the chapelries of Mount Sorrel, Quorndon, and Woodhouse. The village of Barrow contains an hospital, or almshouse, for six poor men, and an endowed school of 30 or 40 boys. There are two or three dissenting places of worship. Quorndon chapelry, in Barrow parish, comprehends 1,990 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 1,752 : the stocking and bobbin-net lace manufactures are carried on to a considerable extent. The village is on the road between Mount Sorrel and Loughborough.