Bottesford in 1839
Bottesford is on the river Deven, in the vale of Belvoir, in Framland hundred. The parish comprehends 5,010 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 1,320. The village is on the road from Grantham to Nottingham. The church is a cross church, with a tower and lofty ornamented spire, and contains a number of handsome monuments of the earls of Rutland of the Manners family. Four dukes of Rutland are buried here, but have no monuments. Belvoir Castle, the seat of the dukes of Rutland, is about four miles from Bottesford, upon the border of Leicestershire and Lincolnshire. This noble building occupies nearly the summit of a hill, on the southern slope of which are terraces and shrubberies. It surrounds a quadrangular court, and has undergone many alterations during the present century : in its situation and general appearance it bears some resemblance to Windsor Castle. It contains a very fine collection of paintings.