Caistor in 1839
Caistor, or Castor, is in the wapentake of Yarborough, in the parts of Lindsey. Its name indicates it to have been a Roman station : by the Saxons it was called Thong Castor. Some Roman and Saxon antiquities have been discovered here. The whole parish, which extends into the wapentake of Walshcroft, contains 4,470 acres, with a population 1,525 : the chapelry of Holton-le-Moor contains 1,750 acres with a population of 150, leaving for the part of the parish which contains the town 2,720 acres and 1,375 inhabitants, of whom about a sixth are engaged in agriculture. The church is partly of Norman, partly of early English character. The town has a market on Saturday. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelries of Houghton and Clixby, exempt from the archdeacons jurisdiction, of the clear yearly value of £215, with a glebe-house. There were is the parish (exclusive of Holton chapelry), in 1833, an endowed day-school, with 74 children ; eight other day-schools. with 194 children ; a national Sunday-school, with 144 children ; and another Sunday-school, with 70 children.