Deeping St. James in 1839
Deeping St. James is a village so near to Market Deeping as almost to constitute one town with it. The parish has an area of 6,470 acres, with a population of 1,587. The church, originally a chapel, built by the monks of Croyland, is large and curious, chiefly in the Norman and early English styles : it contains a curious Norman font. There is an ancient stone cross in this village. The living is a vicarage of the clear yearly value of £191, with a glebe-house. There were in 1833 three day-schools with 85 children ; a national with 100 children ; and a Sunday-school with 64 children.