Saltfleet and Skidbrooke in 1839
Saltfleet is in the hundred of Louth Eske, parts of Lindsey, 159 miles from London by Sleaford, Horncastle, and Louth. Saltfleet, half a century ago, was a place of some consequence, but is now decayed and is a mere hamlet to the parish of Skidbrooke. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the oyster fishery ; there is a bank of good oysters off the coast. The parish of Skidbrooke contains 2,420 acres, with a population of 362, about half agricultural. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Lincoln, of the clear yearly value of £271. There were in 1833 two day-schools, with 52 children, and one Sunday-school, with 58 children.