Tattershall in 1839
Tattershall is in the wapentake of Gartree, in the parts of Lindsey, 127 miles from London through Sleaford. It is on the little river Bain, just above its junction with the Witham. Here was formerly a strong castle built by the Fitz-Eudos, barons of Tattershall, and improved by Cromwell, Treasurer of the Exchequer to King Henry VI. The site is marked by two fosses, the outer one of earth, the inner one ten feet deep, faced with brick, and occasionally filled with water from the river. The principal gateway was standing till of late years : a square brick tower built by Treasurer Cromwell is still remaining : it is flanked by octangular turrets which were crowned with spires covered with lead ; three of these spires yet remain. The main walls rise to the top of the fourth story, where a capacious machicolation encompasses the tower, on which rises a parapet wall of vast thickness, with arches for the protection of those employed at the machicolations ; above this is a second platform with a parapet and embrasures. The tower is in tolerable preservation. The parish comprehends 3,840 acres, with a population in 1831 of 599, two-fifths agricultural. The town is much decayed. The church is a beautiful and spacious edifice, in the form of a cross It has however suffered much from dilapidations. The windows of the choir were glazed with beautiful stained glass, which was removed by a former marquis of Exeter on condition of replacing it with plain glass ; but the condition was never fulfilled, and the interior has suffered much from the exposure : a rich carved wooden screen and stalls are nearly rotten. The Horncastle navigation passes through the town ; but there is little trade. The market is now held on Thursday. The living is a donative, exempt from the archdeacons visitation, of the clear yearly value of £110. There were in 1833 a boarding and day-school with 25 children ; two day-schools with 10 or 12 children in each ; a national school attended by 104 children in the week and 62 on Sundays ; and one Sunday-school with 18 or 20 children. Mineral waters have lately been discovered at Woodhall between Tattershall and Horncastle, which are coming into repute : handsome baths are built, and an hotel is in course of erection.