Wainfleet in 1839
Wainfleet is in the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, 133 miles from London through Boston. It is supposed to have been a Roman station, the Vainonas of the geographer Ravennas. The haven was anciently frequented by ships, but it was going to decay in Lelands time. The waters have been so lowered by a drain, that it is now used only for small craft. The town is supposed to have stood formerly higher up the creek, where the old church of All Saints stands. The parish of Wainfleet All Saints comprehends 1,830 acres, with a population in 1831 of 1,135, about one-fourth or one-fifth agricultural ; that of Wainfleet St. Mary comprehends 6,440 acres, with a population of 660, almost entirely agricultural : together 8,270 acres, with a population of 1,795. All Saints church is a handsome building fast going to decay : it has a brick tower of modern date. St. Marys church is also much decayed. There is a school-house for the free grammar-school, founded by William of Waynflete, bishop of Winchester, in the fifteenth century. The market is held on Saturday, but is almost disused. The living of All Saints is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £322 ; that of St. Mary is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £201, with a glebe-house ; both are in the archdeaconry of Lincoln. There were in 1833, in the two parishes, a dame-school with 16 children ; William of Waynfletes free grammar-school, with 42 children ; an endowed free-school, supported by the governors of Bethlehem Hospital, with 133 children ; nine other day-schools with 222 children ; and three Sunday-schools with 387 children : one of the Sunday-schools, with 105 children was supported by the governors of Bethlehem Hospital. William of Waynflete was of this town ; his name was William Partin He founded Magdalen College, Oxford.