Methwold in 1839
Methwold is in Grimshoe hundred, between Brandon and Stoke Ferry. The parish has an area of 13,530 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 1,266, about three-fourths agricultural. The market has fallen into disuse. There are a handsome church with an embattled tower, and a Methodist meeting-house. The living is a vicarage united with the rectory of Cranwich or Cranwick, of the clear yearly value of £450, with a glebe-house. There were, in 1833, one day-school, with 36 children, supported by the duchy of Lancaster ; one day and Sunday school, with 16 children in the week and about 22 on Sundays, partly supported by private charity ; and one Sunday-school with 217 children.