New Buckenham in 1839
New Buckenham is in Shropham hundred, 93 miles from London. The neighbouring village of Old Buckenham had a castle at the time of the Conquest, but this castle was pulled down and a priory of the Black Canons of St. Augustin was built from its ruins in the time of Stephen or Henry II, by William de Albini, to whose father the castle and manor had been granted. At the dissolution, the yearly revenue of this priory was estimated at £131, 11 shillings, 0¾ pence gross, or £108, 10 shillings, 2 pence clear.
In place of the old castle, William de Albini erected a new one, round which a town grew up, to which the name of New Buckenham was given. A few ruins of the gateway and keep of this castle remain.
The area of the parish of New Buckenham is only 250 acres ; has the population in 1831 was 795, about one-third agricultural. The town is pleasantly situated, and has some neatly built houses. The church is large, and ancient structure, partly rebuilt near the close of the fifteenth century. It has a richly carved screen and some interesting monuments.
The market is on Saturday, and there are two, if not three yearly fairs. The living is a perpetual curacy value of the clear yearly value of £115, in the appointment of the parishioners. There were in the parish, in 1833, four day-schools (one partly supported by endowment, and one partly supported by subscription), with 85 children ; and one Sunday-school with 130 children.
Old Buckenham parish contains 5,520 acres, with a population of 1,201, two-thirds agricultural. The church formerly belonged to the priory. The living is a perpetual curacy, of the clear yearly value of £102, in the gift of the parishioners. There were in 1833 three day-schools (two partly supported by endowment), with 60 children ; and one Sunday-school, with 110 children.