Snettisham in 1839
Snettisham is in Smithdon hundred, about 11 miles north by east of Lynn, not far from the Wash. The area of the parish is 5,580 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 926, nearly two-thirds agricultural. The market has been discontinued.
There are a church and a Methodist meeting-house. Several brass celts, ancient instruments of disputed origin and use, have been dug up in this neighbourhood. The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £110, with a glebe-house.
There were, in 1833, one endowed school with 35 children ; a school, partly supported by charity, for 47 girls ; five other day-schools, with 81 children ; one boarding-school, with 28 children ; and two Sunday-schools, with 73 children.