Worsted in 1839
Worsted is in Tunstead hundred, 12 miles north-north-east of Norwich. The area of the parish is 2,410 acres ; the population in 1831 was 830, more than half agricultural. This place was formerly the seat of a considerable manufacture, introduced by the Flemings, of woollen twists and stuffs, called from it Worsted goods; but this manufacture was in the reigns of Richard II and Henry IV removed to Norwich, where indeed it had been previously established. The market has been discontinued ; and the town has now scarcely any manufacture and little trade, though the latter is facilitated by the canal from the river Ant up to North Walsham, which passes near the town. The church is a fine building, consisting of nave, chancel, and tower : the nave and chancel are partly of decorated, but chiefly of perpendicular character; the tower is of decorated character, and is of very admirable arrangement and composition. It is strengthened by rich buttresses and is crowned with pinnacles. There is in the church a font of peculiar richness with delicately pannelled sides ; the pedestal has niches and buttresses, and the risers of the steps are pannelled. The cover of this font is of wood, of rich tabernacle work. There is also a fine wooden screen. The living is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £251. There were in the parish, in 1833, five day-schools, with 87 children, and two Sunday-schools, with 134 children.