Arnold in 1839
Arnold is in the northern division of Broxtow hundred, 3½ miles from Nottingham, on the road to Mansfield. The area of the parish is 4670 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 4054, about one-fifth agricultural. The village is large, extending nearly a mile in length. The houses are neat and comfortable. Between 400 and 500 adult males engaged in manufacture, chiefly of hosiery and cotton goods. On Hollyhill, in the neighbourhood of Arnold, are the remains of a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £310, with a glebe-house. There were, in l831, endowed school, with 48 boys; seven other day-schools 204 children; and seven Sunday-schools with 808 children.