Basford in 1839
Basford is in the northern division of Broxtow wapentake, 2 or 3 miles north-west of Nottingham, near the right or west bank of the Lene. The area of the parish is 2720 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 6325, about one-tenth agricultural. The village lies in a bottom, amid scenery of the richest character. The church has a handsome spire. The chief manufactures are those of hosiery, lace, and lace machinery, in which about 750 adult males are employed. There are cotton-mills, dye-houses, and bleaching-grounds, and several corn-mills. The court of the Honour of Peverel sits here ; it has jurisdiction over Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, and some places in Leicestershire: it is held twice a year for the decision of causes under £50. The high-steward or his deputy presides. There is a gaol here connected with this court. The living is a vicarage of the clear yearly value of £260. There were, in 1833, an infant-school, with 101 scholars; twelve day-schools, with 295 children; and ten Sunday-schools, with 1237 children. There are meeting-houses for Wesleyan Methodists, General Baptists, and Scotch Baptists.