Uppingham in 1841
Uppingham is in Martinsley hundred, six miles south of Oakham, at the intersection of the Melton mail-road with the cross-road from Leicester to Stamford. The area of the parish is 1,210 acres. It had, in 1831, 342 houses, inhabited by 358 families, and 7 houses uninhabited. The town consists chiefly of one street, tolerably well paved, with an open area in the centre. The houses are in general good, and the appearance of the place is superior to that of Oakham. The church is large, with a lofty spire, and contains several interesting portions. The free grammar-school house is a neat and plain building, at one end of the church yard ; and there is an hospital for poor men. These institutions, which are well endowed, were, as well as the grammar-school and hospital at Oakham, founded by Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester, A.D. 1584. There . two dissenting meeting-houses.
The population of Uppingham, in 1831, was 1,757, about one-fifth agricultural. There is a market on Wednesday ; and there are two yearly fairs. for horses, cattle, and sheep, and coarse linens. Races are held on a course called the Brand, just south of the town.
The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £661, with a glebe-house, in the gift of the bishop of London.
There were in 1833 six dame-schools, with 90 children ; six other day-schools, with 266 scholars, including the free grammar-school with 32 boys, and a national school with 100 boys and 66 girls ; and two Sunday-schools, with 161 children.