Betley in 1841
Betley is in the northern division of Pyrehill hundred, about 23 miles north-north-west of Stafford, through Stone and Newcastle. It is a neatly built place, in a cheerful situation. The market has been given up for several year, and the population of the whole parish (the area of which is 1,480 acres) was, in 1831, only 870. There are considerable market-gardens round the village, from which Newcastle is supplied with vegetables. There are two national schools, one of them with a small endowment.