Handsworth in 1841
Handsworth is in the southern division of Offlow hundred, about two miles north-west of Birmingham. The church has been mostly rebuilt ; only the tower and a small part of the wall of the ancient edifice remain. In the church are monuments to Messrs. Boulton and Watt, the well-known manufacturers of Soho. Soho park and works are in this parish. The area of the parish is 7,720 acres.
The population in 1831 was 4,944 of whom 112 men were engaged in manufactures. The Roman Catholic College of St. Mary Oscott is in the parish ; and there are a charity-school and a national-school, besides several private schools.