Needham Market in 1842
Needham Market is in Bosmere and Claydon hundred, 8 miles north-west of Ipswich, on the road to Bury. The area of the parish of Barking, in which the place stands, is 3,010 acres : the population in 1831 was 1,884, of which 1,466 persons belonged to the hamlet or chapelry of Needham-Market. The village consists of one principal street and of some smaller ones : the houses are neat, and some of them even handsome. The chapel is a mean building, with a wooden belfry ; and there are one or two dissenting places of worship. The woollen manufacture, formerly carried on here, has been long extinct; and of late years the market has been given up : a little paper and glue are made. The river Gipping, which passes the town, is navigable. There is an endowed grammar-school.