Henley-in-Arden in 1843
Henley-in-Arden is in the parish of Wootton Waven or Wawen, in the Henley division of Barlichway hundred, about 10 miles west of Warwick, and 15 miles south-south-east of Birmingham. The town is pleasantly situated, and consists principally of one long street on the road between Stratford-on-Avon and Birmingham. The houses, though mostly ancient, are well built ; and there are some of more modern date interspersed. The chapel is small but of good perpendicular character, with well executed details. There are the remains of a cross in the market-place ; the embellishments of the shaft are mutilated. The chapelry contained in 1831, 276 houses, namely, 261 inhabited, 13 uninhabited, and 2 building, with 271 families, and 1,214 individuals. The whole parish contained 521 houses, namely 489 inhabited, 30 uninhabited, and 2 building, with 504 families, and 2,271 persons. The town has a market on Monday ; and three yearly fairs, one for cattle, one for hops, and one pleasure-fair. The living is a perpetual curacy of the clear yearly value of £104, in the rural deanery of Warwick, and in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. There were in the whole parish, in 1833, seventeen day-schools, with 274 children, namely, 118 boys and 156 girls ; one of these schools was partly supported by an allowance from the high-bailiff of Henley : and there were six Sunday-schools, with 255 children, namely, 109 boys and 146 girls : giving about one in eight or nine of the population under daily instruction, and about one in nine under Sunday instruction.