Kineton in 1843
Kington, or Kineton, is in the Kington division of the hundred of Kington, between 10 and 11 miles south-by-east of Warwick. The etymology of the name is disputed, and the place has no historical interest attached to it. There was formerly a castle situated on a hill west of the town ; the ruins are popularly termed King John’s Castle, and at the foot of the hill there is a well commonly called King John’s Well. The area of the parish is 2,540 acres, or, including the chapelry of Combrook, 3,810 acres ; it had, in 1831, 197 houses, namely 195 inhabited and 2 uninhabited : 199 families, and 820 persons. The chapelry of Combrook had at the same time 55 inhabited houses and 7 uninhabited : together 62 : with 57 families, and 282 persons. The population of the whole parish was 1,102. The town is irregularly built, the principal street being along one of the roads from Banbury to Warwick ; the houses are chiefly old, built of stone and thatched ; there are however some detached modern houses. There is an old market-house in the market-place, which is small. The church retains some ancient portions amid many alterations : it is a cross church, with a square embattled tower. The western door has a richly-moulded Norman archway. The market is on Tuesday, but is almost disused. There are two yearly fairs. The living of Kineton is a vicarage united with the chapelry of Combrook, of the clear yearly value of £97, with a glebe-house, in the rural deanery of Kington or Kineton, and in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. There were in the whole parish, in 1833, two day and Sunday schools (one of them a national school, and one partly supported by endowment and contribution), with 120 children, namely 49 boys and 71 girls on week-days, giving about one in nine of the population under daily instruction ; and with 147 children, namely 68 boys and 79 girls, on Sundays, giving two in fifteen of the population under Sunday instruction.