Bishop’s Cannings in 1843
Bishop's-Cannings is in the hundred of Potterne and Cannings, about three miles north-east from Devizes : the area of the parish is 10,290 acres, and it extends to the old boundary of the borough of Devizes ; some part of the chapelry of St. James in Bishop's-Cannings' parish is included in the new boundary of the borough. The population of the parish, in 1831, was 3,350. The village of Bishop’s-Cannings is in the valley beneath the southern escarpment of the northern chalk district, to the left of the road between Marlborough and Devizes : it has a fine cross church, with nave and side aisles, transept, south porch, a chantry on the east side of the south transept, another chantry chapel, and a lady chapel, now used as the chancel. Some portions of the church are of Norman character, other parts are Early English, and the battlements and some windows in the nave are of a later period : the tower and spire rise from the intersection of the nave and transept, and are of Early English character.