Bratton in 1843
Bratton is just at the foot of the north-west escarpment of the southern or Salisbury Plain chalk district in Westbury hundred. It is a hamlet of Westbury, from which it is distant two or three miles east-north-east. Bratton camp is an ancient entrenchment of irregular form, nearly a mile in circuit, and enclosing an area of twenty-three acres, on the edge of the chalk downs between the village and the town of Westbury. On the escarpment below it is the figure of a white horse, which Gough supposed to be a memorial of Alfred’s victory at Eddington, but which is positively asserted by others to be of modern date.