Market Lavington in 1843
East or Market Lavington is in the hundred of Swanborough, about 113 miles from the General Post-Office, London, by the Great Western Railway to Chippenham, and from thence by Devizes. The parish, including the tything of Easterton, has an area of 5,840 acres, and had, in 1831, 330 houses, namely, 319 inhabited, 7 uninhabited, and 4 building, with a population of 356 families, or l,525 persons, about two-thirds agricultural. The town is in the valley between the green sand and chalk hills on the north-west side of Salisbury Plain ; the two principal streets cross each other at right angles ; and the hamlet of Easterton nearly adjoins the town on the north-east. The church is in the town, and is of Gothic architecture of the later or perpendicular period. The market, if continued, is on Wednesday, and there is one yearly fair. The divine is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £300, with a glebe-house, in the rural deanery of Pottern, in the archdeaconry of Wiltshire, in the diocese of Salisbury. There were in the whole parish, in 1833, five day-schools with 87 children, namely, 26 boys and 46 girls, and 15 children of sex not stated, giving about one in seventeen of the population under instruction in the week ; and two Sunday-schools with 262 scholars, namely 121 boys and 141 girls, giving one in six of the population under instruction on Sunday. Bishop Tanner, author of the ‘Notitia Monastica,’ was a native of Market Lavington.